Maps compel you to explore an area, but they’re also a way to explore data that can tell a story.
GIS stands for Geographic Information System which is a combination of software and geographic data that can be used to perform data capturing analysis, cartographic map display and production. SWTrails uses GIS technology to provide quality maps of established routes, and to focus efforts on improving existing trails. A recent Blog post exlains the development and growth of our GIS Program.
Useful Mapping Links:
- Map Gallery (ArcGIS Online Site)
- Instructions on Installing a mobile application for maps of SWTrails Routes
- Walking Maps (City of Portland Site)
- (Spring, 2020) Temporary Route Change on SW Trail #4
- Proposed Route Changes (2019)
- Sunset Highway Landslide
“You can’t use an old map to explore a new world”
– Albert Einstein
Questions/comments about maps of trails in SW Portland? Contact Brian Brady, GIS Manager