SWTrails sponsors two monthly walks through areas of southwest Portland. It’s a great way to get some exercise, enjoy the sights, and meet your neighbors. We also have a collection of Self-led hikes that can be done at any time read more HERE
Our longer hikes are on the second Saturday of the month. They start at 9:00am and try to be finished by about noon. Our shorter, less-hilly walks are on the third Saturday of the month, starting at 9:00 am and end no later than 12pm. In order to offer a wider range of hikes, our meeting place may vary each month. Please check the starting location noted in our emails.
Plan on arriving a little early to sign in so that we can leave promptly at 9am. Bring a snack, water, good footwear, sunglasses and dress for the weather. Well-behaved dogs on leash and kids are welcome. For health reasons, there is no smoking on SWTrails walks. For more information or to volunteer to lead a future walk in your neighborhood, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our hikes are co-sponsored by SWTrails PDX and Hillsdale Neighborhood Association.
To see a schedule of our upcoming group walks, visit our Events Calendar.
Don’t forget about our Self-Led Hikes we developed during the COVID restrictions to offer the community some walking opportunities when we couldn’t meet to walk together. You have over 30 hikes with a range of difficuly to choose from, with both a written description of the hike and an interactive map to guide you on your way. Click here for information on our Self-Led Hikes.
Use the form below to contact us with your questions about our walks.
You can find other groups leading walks through Portland here.
Reports on Previous Hikes
- January 2014 walk – Snow
- April 2014 walk – owl in Tryon Creek Park
- May 2014 walk – slug on a poem in the forest
- September 2014 Walk – Esplanade
- October 2014 walk – Iowa Street trail through Himes Park reopens
- November 2014 walk – Little Free Libraries
- December 2014 walk – 10-11-12-13-14
- January 2015 walk – Poem that reads from bottom to top
- February 2015 walk – Valentine’s Day
- March 2015 walk – Pi Day — 3.145926 on 3.14.15 9:26am
- June 2015 – cactus and Riverview Natual Area
- July 2015 – Terwilliger and South River Front
- August 2015 Multnomah Days Parade
- October 2015 Free Moles and stone bears
- November 2015 Treehouses
- February 2016 Totem pole and Marquam Nature Park
- April 2016 Unusual sights along walk route
- May 2016 Climbing stairs to Portland Heights
- July 2016 Crossing Tilikum and Selwood Bridges
- August 2016 Hot
- November 2016 Bridlemile School through Raleigh Hill
- December 2016 Ice Storm cancels hike
- February 2017 Cat and mouse
- April 2017 Tryon Creek Park
- August 2017 Tryon Creek Observatory
- September 2017 Fall colors
- January 2018 Fantasy figures
- February 2018 Veterans and Bridges